Saturday, September 17, 2016

2. The Oldest Sport In America

Baseball is not only the greatest sport in America but it is also one of the oldest as well. The creation of this great sport is accredited to two people depending on who you talk to.
https://www.emaze.com

Abner Doubleday is said to have invented the game in 1839 but Alexander Cartwright is said to have invented the game in 1845 as well as establishing a baseball club, the New York Knickerbockers. To the left is a picture displaying him holding a baseball and bat. Either way you look at it baseball began before the Civil War. This is before Football was invented which is said to be 1892.

 During this time there weren't a whole lot of leagues and baseball was played more as a leisurely pastime. Kids gathered from all around and played the game in sandlots. But it wasn't only kids who loved the game. Even the president at the time, Abraham Lincoln was once quoted saying, "I am glad to hear of their coming, but they will have to wait a few minutes till I get my turn with the bat".  The president loved the game so much that he even had a baseball field constructed in the back of the White House called the "White Lot". An editor at the time made a cartoon that depicted the president with the other presidential candidates all dressed up in uniforms getting ready to play. 
http://m.mlb.com/cutfour

Throughout the upcoming years baseball will evolve and grow into the sport we know today. But it will always remain one of the oldest sports in America and the nations favorite pastime.









http://www.baseball-almanac.com/prz_qal.shtml
http://www.pacivilwartrails.com/stories/tales/baseball-and-the-civil-war

2 comments:

  1. Right off the bat (no pun intended) I like how you linked your first post to the second post with your words: "Baseball is not only the greatest sport in America but it is also one of the oldest as well." If you can continue that with all your posts that would be awesome! I would swap the names of who invented it so that its like your saying "this is when it was invented but this guy claims to have invented it earlier." I don't think the white out of the quote works for this, its distracting, at first I thought I accidentally dragged my cursor over that sentence. I just finished reading your posts, there should be more than two by now and it is an interesting topic. Sports is huge in America and I think you could get a lot of followers by talking about the history of sports but I think you should write more on each post, more history. I think a more interesting font should be used and better "straight on" picture of your face on your profile. Great pictures within your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the construction/layout of your page, the background font and colors make it really feel like you are looking into the baseball history. I also like the backstory with President Lincoln creating the "white lot". I believe any critiques I would make have already been covered with the two posts by Dylan. So I think if you make a few of those tweaks you'll be golden with how this is going! I look forward to hearing more baseball history! :)

    ReplyDelete